World Travel 101 is a fun introduction to traveling. Topics that are covered:
- Travel Documents
- Packing for Travel
- Responsible Travel/Intercultural Education
Community Walls is fun and educational that asks youth “What is it like to live in your community?” The purpose of the program is to build a new generation of global citizens
- unburdened by damaging stereotypes
- emboldened by open minds
- appreciative of their own heritage and understanding of others through the dialogue and education that come through hostelling.
The Community Walls service project teaches youth to gain cultural understanding, define their community, build pride in their culture, and express what it is like to live in their neighborhood through the creation of an original painting. Completed paintings are displayed at a Wisconsin Council hostel in order to give world travelers a unique perspective of life in that community.
Picture Your Summer photo contest sponsored by Hostelling International-Wisconsin & Channel 27 News with Leopold & Orchard Ridge Schools.
- Each child will receive a free disposable camera to take pictures of their favorite events of summer– these may include family trips, cultural events, favorite summer places, family traditions, etc.
- We will develop each camera submitted and judges will pick 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place winners in the following areas: People, Places, & Nature.
- Photos from each contestant will be framed and displayed in the Madison Hostel for the months of September and October 2006. Each child will earn a water bottle for participating; winners may receive backpacks, cameras, and other great prizes.
Contest winners will be announced at the Picture your Summer Award Ceremony at the Madison Hostel on Saturday, September 18th, 2006 12-4pm. Join us for food, door prizes, and fun family activities. Channel 27 News will be there to cover this event, so mark your calendars!